Feb 7, 2009

TYPES OF VIRUS

Types of Viruses

But what are the types of computer viruses and worms that you're computer can come into contact with? The list of viruses is quiet long and complex. So, we simplified the list by mentioning few broad categories of viruses that can put your computer and all your personal data on it, in danger. These computer viruses include:

Computer Viruses

Boot Sector viruses: A boot sector virus infects diskettes and hard drives. All disks and hard drives contain smaller sections called sectors. The first sector is called the boot. The boot carries the Mater Boot Record (MBR). MBR functions to read and load the operating system. So, if a virus infects the boot or MBR of a disk, such as a floppy disk, your hard drive can become infected, if you re-boot your computer while the infected disk is in the drive. Once your hard drive is infected all diskettes that you use in your computer will be infected. Boot sector viruses often spread to other computers by the use of shared infected disks and pirated software applications. The best way to disinfect your computer of the boot sector virus is by using antivirus software.

Program viruses: A program virus becomes active when the program file (usually with extensions .BIN, .COM, .EXE, .OVL, .DRV) carrying the virus is opened. Once active, the virus will make copies of itself and will infect other programs on the computer.

Multipartite viruses: A multipartite virus is a hybrid of a Boot Sector and Program viruses. It infects program files and when the infected program is active it will affect the boot record. So the next time you start up your computer it'll infect your local drive and other programs on your computer.

Stealth viruses: A stealth virus can disguise itself by using certain tactics to prevent being detected by antivirus software. These tactics include altering its file size, concealing itself in memory, and so on. This type of virus is nothing new, in fact, the first computer virus, dubbed Brain, was a stealth virus. A good antivirus should be able to detect a stealth virus lurking on your hard drive by checking the areas the virus infected and evidence in memory.

Polymorphic viruses: A polymorphic virus acts like a chameleon, changing its virus signature (also known as binary pattern) every time it multiples and infects a new file. By changing binary patterns, a polymorphic virus becomes hard to detect by an antivirus program.

Macro Viruses: A macro virus is programmed as a macro embedded in a document. Many applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, support macro languages. Once a macro virus gets on to your computer, every document you produce will become infected. This type of virus is relatively new and may slip by your antivirus software if you don't have the most recent version installed on your computer. .

Active X and Java Control: Some users do not know how to manage and control their web browser to allow or prohibit certain functions to work, such as enabling or disabling sound, pop ups, and so on. Leaving your computer in danger of being targeted by unwanted software or adware floating in cyberspace.

29 comments:

  1. Hi therе! Do you know if they make any plugins to ѕafeguard against hackers?

    I'm kinda рaranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on. Any
    recommendations?
    this hyperlink : Finding The Best Εncryption Software & Six
    Critiϲal Skills To How To Encrypt A Password Ϝor Free Remarkably Well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you looking for plugins to secure a WordPress website?

      Delete
  2. With havin so much written content do you ever run into
    any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My website
    has a lot of exclusive content I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any ways to help protect against
    content from being stolen? I'd certainly appreciate
    it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Its in fact remarkable article, I have got much clear idea on the topic of
    from this article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After going over a number of the blog articles
    on your website, I seriously appreciate your technique of blogging.
    I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back
    in the near future. Take a look at my web site too and tell me how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web
    site and in accession capital to claim that I
    acquire in fact loved account your blog posts. Any way I'll
    be subscribing in your feeds or even I fulfillment
    you get admission to constantly rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post!
    It is the little changes that make the biggest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I every time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of web therefore from now I am using net for articles or reviews,
    thanks to web.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Post writing is also a fun, if you know afterward you
    can write otherwise it is difficult to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you wish for to increase your experience just keep visiting this web page and be updated with the hottest news posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
    I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few
    interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write
    next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things
    about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that is among the most significant info for me.

    And i'm happy studying your article. But should remark on few
    common issues, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is in reality excellent :
    D. Good task, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent post, very informative. I wonder why
    the other experts of this sector do not realize this.
    You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you've
    a great readers' base already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When someone writes an article he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand
    it. Therefore that's why this article is amazing.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saved as a favorite, I really like your site!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I all the time used to read paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of web therefore from now
    I am using net for posts, thanks to web.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We stumbled over here by a different web address
    and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am
    just following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page
    again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant opinion, piece of writing is fastidious, thats why i
    have read it fully

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but
    great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.

    Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I do think this is a great site. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return once again since i
    have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change,
    may you be rich and continue to guide others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo
    News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to tears at work
    so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch
    break. I really like the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to
    take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
    I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I
    should check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.

    Look forward to looking at your web page repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am going through troubles with your RSS.
    I don't understand the reason why I am unable to join it.
    Is there anybody having the same RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution can you
    kindly respond? Thanx!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I was not actively working on this site for many years.
      There was some issue with the RSS widget. I have added the widget again. Please try now.

      Delete
  24. Amazing things here. I am very happy to see your post. Thank you so
    much and I am looking forward to contact you. Will
    you please drop me a mail?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, yeah this post is actually nice and I
    have learned lot of things from it on the
    topic of blogging. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you all for your kind support and suggestions. Never thought this blog would reach such a great audience :)

    ReplyDelete